Thursday, January 24, 2008

Studio Friday: Legacy.

"What work(s)/successes/accomplishments would you love to leave behind for the world? What legacy would you like to or are already about to create?"
Isn't this ironic?! I'm 32 years old, fighting for my life for the past 2 months with colorectal cancer. Believe it or not I have had this thought go through my mind. Yeah, I want my legacy to be my art/photography,like any artist would. I believe, as a Christian you're given talents to use to reach others. I want my legacy to be my pieces of artwork, whether it be my photography,a drawing or even the pottery placed throughout my house but to have a message that goes along with it. With every piece of artwork there is a challenge: How close do I need to get for a great shot, or when the clay is on wheel, what do I in vision in this clay-how far am I going to stretch it ? But for the people who do know me, I want them to know I was creative, fun-loving, loved to swim, ski, loved my family near and far, appreciated her husband and loved her children, played with her boys,and realized there is more to life than "things". Be thankful for your blessings.Using this challenging life experience to share with others that going through something like cancer that you cant do it alone or or even with human help, but ONLY God can truly comfort you, hold you, and even carry you.

3 comments:

Donna Gotlib said...

wow.
-cookie

ArtPropelled said...

"there is more to life than "things"....that is something that has hit me repeatedly on this cancer route. We lost our young daughter to it and when my husband was diagnosed with it and was told to get his house in order we refused to accept it. He and we fought for his life with everything we had in ourselves. Miracles do happen! It is now six years that he has been clear of cancer.

I have enjoyed this post, Kendra. I'm so glad that you are focusing on your art. My husband focused on his passion (which happens to be fishing)for the year of his illness. He was bedridden for most of that year but he lay plotting and picturing the many fish he would catch later. He even had the rod and reel next to him on the bed. We laughed but it had a lot to do with his recovery.

Anke Martin said...

I send you lot of energy over there, never give up............